Tuesday, September 08, 2009

COUPLE WED AT SON'S FUNERAL

Now this is interesting....


The young boy who died following a fiery chain-reaction crash on the 190 near South Buffalo [was] laid to rest on Monday and in the process something he'd been wishing for came true -- his parents got married.

The funeral for Asa Hill, 7, was unusual in more ways than one. More than 700 people came out on the holiday to pay their respects. The Unitarian Universalist Church on Elmwood Avenue in Buffalo only seats 400 so the overflow crowd either stood in the aisles or listened outside the church. The service featured a drum procession, dancing, singing and cheering along with relatives sharing special memories of a bright, talented and loving young boy. "His wonderful smile and fun laugh especially when he would crack up uncontrollably, his oh-so-unique personality, warm hugs, loving kisses," recalls Asa's aunt.

"They (her grandchildren) always hug me when I go to work and tell me they love me and he hugged me and said, 'Grandma every time I hug you you always smell good'," says Asa's grandmother Kefilwe Hill.

Asa had apparently been asking his parents, Amilcar Hill and Rahwa Ghirmatizion, to get married and to the surprise of nearly everyone at the church Monday they granted Asa his wish by tying the knot in the middle of the funeral. A wedding during a funeral may seem unusual but it seemed to fit the spirit of the day's celebration of life and love.

Asa's father says it gives him peace knowing Asa's organs are being donated to save other young lives and he encourages everyone to become an organ donor immediately.


GV Says: Interesting.....I really don't think I could have done that. Perhaps if my child was battling a long illness and there was time to mentally prepare. But I'm not sure I could done that in light of the suddenness of his death. I can't knock it though. We all grieve differently.

5 comments:

Proud American said...

That is a shame. Give the child a peaceful service for God's sake. Why on earth would your selfishness make an event like that about your wedding day?

OH wait, the insurance company paid for the service soooo why not get something for free!!

THESE PEOPLE ARE SICK

becky said...

Umm, no I really think it might have meant more than that. Think of it as the boy being a part of something he so desperately wanted to happen. I think it's a beautiful story. Why do funerals have to be sad, it should rather be a celebration of their life

Anonymous said...

I agree with becky. But it only could happen in USA. I think interesting the American way of prayer. Here the church service is very bored and ugly (sadness ugly).

Anonymous said...

very selfish couple.Too bad they did not listen to their child when he was alive.Apparently it was important to him to have his parents maried Now it is too late and frankly sounds very self serving.

Anonymous said...

I was at the service and I must tell you that it was the most beautiful thing we (over 1000 attendees) have ever witnessed. Asa's organs were donated and helped save the lives of nearly 12 other children. Their parents are poised, wonderful, loving individuals who granted Asa's wish and brought joy to the sadness by uniting in marriage.