Tuesday, July 15, 2008

SOLANGE & NELLY GRACES RAP-UP

Solange, Teyanna Taylor and Keri Hilson grace Rap-Up magazine along with Nelly.

Cute cover!!!!


SOLANGE KNOWLES
On being in Beyoncé’s shadow: “At this point, it’s starting to hurt me more than helpme because my family is sort of known as the new age Huxtables. We’re the clean-cutgirls. But I got married at 17, had a kid at 17. Ever since I was younger, I alwaysconsidered myself to be into more artistic things than [Beyoncé]. People just hear the[Knowles] name and they just put a stamp on it automatically.”

KERI HILSON
On dating her mentors Timbaland and Polow Da Don: “Oh hell no. I neverconsidered them for a second. Firstly because I never mix business with pleasure. I’venever dated anybody I had to work with ever. So you’ll never see that. Not now, not inthe past, not in the future.”

TEYANA TAYLOR
On being one of Rap-Up’s “Brave New Girls”: “It’s always cool being the new kid onthe block because everybody’s looking. They wanna know, ‘Who is that person?’”


On to Nelly


On the prospect of marriage to Ashanti: “Right now, we not thinking about [marriage].It’s just all about the work.”

On the relationship Ashanti has with her parents: “The bond that [Ashanti] has withher family is incredible. It’s one of those bonds that is the exact opposite of the bond thatI have with my parents … I’m not saying my parents don’t love me and I don’t love myparents, but it’s just different. They’re such a caring and loving family that you applaud that and you wish that everybody had that relationship with their family.”

On haters saying he fell off: “I sold six million records and everyone’s like, ‘Yo, he’sfallin’ off.’ Am I fallin’ off for real or am I fallin’ off for Nelly? Like who are you comparingme with? I’ve outsold anybody that you can mention.”
On the state of hip-hop and Soulja Boy: “The guy’s 17 years old. You think he wasworried about what a 30-year-old thinks about his fucking music when he was makin’that song? Trip off the fact that here’s a 17-year-old that wrote and produced his ownalbum, that found a way to make himself prevalent, got on YouTube, and made himselfbig. Look at that! This should be applauded. This young man was being innovative. Thisyoung man made his own way. That was brilliant to me. It was just fuckin’ brilliant. Again,hip-hop started for the youth, it was created by the youth, so why is all the old headstryin’ to control it?”

On being a father: “I’m only good to my kids ’cause I know Chris Brown and SouljaBoy.”
GV Says: Looks like an interesting issue. At least Nelly isn't acting like he doesn't know Ashanti like the Carters do.

No comments: