Saturday, February 23, 2008

ETTA JAMES' ADVICE TO BEYONCE

So what does Etta James really think of Beyonce playing her in the upcoming biopic…

"It's a privilege and an honor to have somebody like that girl. I don't think she looks like me, but that's all right. They can fix that up," Etta told NY Post’s PageSix.

And appearance isn't all Beyoncé will have to work on.

"She's going to have a hill to climb, because Etta James ain't been no angel!" she says.
Producers have informed Etta that she'll get the chance to consult with the 26-year-old Destiny's Child star, giving her pointers on both the acting and the singing — the latter being something the "At Last" singer was most concerned with when she got wind of the casting.

Of her many hits, Etta feels, "I have my own way of putting those songs over, and I was just wondering if Beyoncé could, and my son said, 'They're thinking about how she looks, but mama, she can really sing!'"

"I kinda have a man's voice. It's a contralto, more bluesy, religious. I would really like to work with her on that," the 70-year-old songstress says.

Of her life lessons, Etta, who battled heroin addiction for many years, says, "I can tell Beyoncé some things; some of the things I might not tell her."

"I wasn't as bourgie as she is, she's bourgeois. She knows how to be a lady, she's like a model. I wasn't like that... I smoked in the bathroom.

No comments: