Tuesday, July 31, 2007

STAR JONES ADMITS TO BYPASS SURGERY

Star Jones Reynolds has finally admitted what we all knew – that she had gastric bypass surgery. I mean what else would explain her lollipop head look.



In the September issue of Glamour, she’s lets it all out. Why the delay in speaking up?

"First, I didn't know if the surgery would work," she writes in the first-person essay. "I had spent my entire adult life telling everyone that I was fine with the way I looked. I never thought I'd have to explain it.

"But the complete truth is, I was scared of what people might think of me."

"I was so angry: How had I allowed myself to get to 307 pounds?" "Even though I claimed to be just fine with my weight, I saw how other women [colleagues] were treated like the girlfriend, while I was treated like the good friend, she writes about her first job with NBC News in 1991.

"To compensate for my insecurities, I spoke louder and ate more." After a close friend intervened, Jones Reynolds says she consulted doctors and went in for a successful gastric bypass operation in 2003. After undergoing her surgery, she maintains that she didn't expect so much public scrutiny.

"The toughest part of the journey has been forgiving myself for not having the self-control I know I should have had, or admitting I needed help," she writes about her counseling. Reader letters while she was still on The View also contributed to her decision.

"Every day I am learning to let go of my insecurities and acknowledge that I don't have all the answers, which is okay," she writes. Though she still struggles with self-image, she writes that being healthy is what counts.

"I'm not saying that in order to be happy, women need to be a certain size, but I am saying that we should all strive to be healthy."

Star Jones....girl prepare to be America's sweetheart. Weight is always a delicate topic and I'm actually glad that girlfriend came clean. I'm a Star fan and I hope her story helps others with the same struggles.

No comments: