Friday, February 16, 2007

TIM HARDAWAY BANNED

One day after former Miami Heat guard Tim Hardaway made inflammatory gay remarks, he has been removed from the NBA's All-Star weekend activities.

In addition, Hardaway – who played for the Heat from 1996 to 2001 – will not be allowed to attend appearances previously scheduled for this weekend, including his being saluted as an "NBA legend" and his participating in the NBA's community caravan prior to Sunday's All-Star game in Las Vegas.


In a statement issued by the league, NBA Commissioner David Stern said, "It is inappropriate for him to be representing us given the disparity between his views and ours."

In a radio interview Wednesday with the Herald's chief sports columnist on The Dan LeBatard Show, Hardaway, 40, said: "Well, you know, I hate gay people. I let it be known, I don't like gay people. I don't like to be around gay people. Yeah, I'm homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States. So, yeah, I don't like it." Several hours later, Hardaway issued a brief apology, saying in a statement, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that."

Hardaway's comments came a week after retired center John Amaechi became the first active or former NBA player to publicly acknowledge he was gay. In reference to Amaechi, Hardaway said in his radio interview that he would not have tolerated being on a team with a gay player – and would have requested that either he or the other player be traded to another team.
Tim you're a fool for this one. Good enough for you....

No comments: